Wednesday, January 05, 2000

Europe 2000 . . . the First Epistle

Bonjour, All!

I am sitting in the hottest copy shop in all of France -- hot meaning warm, not cool. The trip is going well so far! I figured out what I forgot (those who saw me pack will wonder how that could have happened) the moment I stepped off the plane -- gloves, my Neiman's mints and mailing addresses so I could send post cards! Please send me your mailing address, anyone who would like a card!

So far, I have been to the following French cities:

Paris (shopped in the Jewish neighborhood and rode in a sardine-like packed mètro that reminded me about certain cultural differences)

Ambroise (saw a cute group of French schoolkids embarking on a field trip, the chateau where Henry II, who was 4 feet tall, bumped his head on a low -- how low could it have been?!?-- doorway on the way to a tennis match and died, and a chocolate shop in business since 1913 -- for good reason!)

Fontreveaud (visited an enormous Abbey, which happens to house the "remains" of Richard the Lion-Hearted and would make a great setting for a horror movie -- my favorite place so far)

Saumur (more on that later)

and Tours (I am here now and for the next day or two, met my first English-speakers -- an Australian and a girl from Denton, Texas -- in 3 days here and will use it as a base to visit Chateau Chenonceau tomorrow).

My French-speaking capabilities have ranged from decent to embarrassingly awful, but I am already starting to think in French sometimes! As you would expect, some people are incredibly nice and some are not.

To those of you who said you were envious of this trip, this description of my day yesterday should cure you (STOP reading now if you don't want to be disillusioned!): awoke at 7am to catch train, walked to station with 40-pound pack, picking up croissant and Coke breakfast, rode to Tours, I planned to leave pack at the station for the day, learned thanks to the terrorists most stations won't store packs anymore, rode train to Saumure after comical half-French, half-English exchange with Information about location of the proper rail line, in Saumur walked to youth hostel with very heavy pack because line was busy when I called for a reservation, found hostel closed for 2 weeks (Let's Go book apparently missed that one!). Sat down, thought about revenge on Let's Go, contemplated asking garbage truck drivers who came to this isolated place for ride back to station. Help arrived in the form of a sweet (and cute) special edu! cation teacher with a van of his students -- he told me not to be afraid -- I wasn't -- and gave me a lift back to the station. Begged Saumur information desk people to hold pack while I visited the Abbey. In Fontevraud, misread French bus schedule and feared I would not get back to Saumur before info desk closed for night. Found timely bus, retrieved pack, rode train to Tours and splurged on cab ride to youth hostel, where I had made a reservation and they were actually open. Tried to find internet source last night, got bad info from hotel hosts, met kind Chinese/French girl who led me on internet hunt, then to dinner.

I never realized how much work it is to make all plans and do all navigating on your own! Last night, I raised a glass in toast to Amy Krasner (my partner in crime on my last trip here) -- she made that trip infinitely easier! Even this computer keyboard is a challenge -- it must be arranged to accomodate keys commonly used in French. All in all, however, I am very glad to be here and am learning a lot, not just about France.

I should grab some lunch (it's 7 hours earlier here than in Illinois and Texas). Have a great day and talk to you again soon!

Lisa

P.S. Thanks to those who sent e-mails already -- it's nice to read friendly messages from home!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here