Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Business trip to guess where?

Answer: Austin, Texas.

This is the first house I rented when I started working in Austin after law school . . . it was painted yellow then:



I chose it because it was close to downtown in an area with lots of trees, and had a small fenced yard, in case I wanted to get a dog. On this visit, the gray cat you see in this photo quickly aproached so I could pet her.

This house, which is next door, belonged to the old lady who owned my house:




She was really nice and quite lively for her age. Once, when I locked myself out of my house, she opened the garage for me (the other side of it was hers) so I could obtain a window-breaking tool, then helped me knock out the kitchen window with a golf club wrapped in a golf towel. I was sad to hear a few years later that she died after having a heart attack or blackout while driving.

After my brief trip to the past, I drove to Barton Springs road and settled in at Fliptronics, a funky Austin-style coffee bar, for an afternoon of work, fresh air and free wi-fi:



The patio was quite comfortable:



Upon seeing this guy, I felt a bit old and conservative, an extremely rare feeling for me:



This dog (Scout) loved the attention while her owner sat and typed at a free table across the patio:



A few hours of productivity later, I headed for the Shady Grove, an old favorite restaurant where I was meeting a college friend for dinner:



She is really excited about the potential candidacy of Mark Warner of Virginia for President in 2008:



The weather was gorgeous:



Ah, Barton Springs, how I miss you!



Nighttime at the Shady Grove is no less wonderful than daytime:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here